Reordering Items and Creating Alternate Versions
There are two ways to reorder the items in your test – manually or during online delivery.
- Start by making the first version of the test as you normally would.
- After you have the items in the order you want them for the first version of the test, save that test under another name of your choice (e.g., My Test, Form B).
- To do this, right-click on a test and select Save Test As.
- Then open the second version, click the Scramble button, and save that version of the test.
- Test Sections can be scrambled relative to other test sections and items within test sections can be scrambled.
- Test Sections can be marked as fixed so that they do not change position when a test is scrambled.
- Note: Instructional items will always remain fixed.
- Repeat this process as many times as you like for any test to create any number of scrambled alternate forms.
- You can also manually move the items up and down in position to scramble.
- Moving items manually can be done by drag-and-drop in the test item list when the test is open for editing, or by selecting an item and then using the Move button (or right click menu).
- Online Delivery
- To randomly scramble the item order for each examinee during online delivery, change the Item Order drop-down menu on the Delivery tab of the Edit Test Section Dialog.
Deleting Items From Your Test
As you assemble and refine your test, you might decide to delete an item from your test.
To delete an item from a test while in the Test Assembler
- Open the test item list by right-clicking → Edit Items
- Select the item to be deleted
- Click on the red Delete button above the test list
- To be sure that you wanted to remove that item from the test, you will be asked to confirm the deletion.
Protecting/Locking a Test
When you have the final version of a test, you might want to protect or lock the test so that it can no longer be modified. Protecting a test makes it impossible to further modify both the item list and the test options of the test.
Before protecting a test, it is a good idea to preview the test.
- A test can be previewed by right-clicking and selecting Preview Test or by selecting the test and clicking the Preview button.
- Options are then given to view the test without highlighting the keys and/or with rationale shown.
- The test will then open in the view that the examinee would see it online.
- The only difference is that a test in preview does not have its answers saved and, therefore, cannot be scored.
- To protect a test, select the test in the Test Assembler window and click the Protect button, or right-click and select Protect Test
- A lock icon will then appear next to the test (Figure 4.19).
- A test can only be unprotected by a workspace administrator and only if no examinees have taken it.
Protecting a test is required before being able to schedule examinees to take the test online.
Exporting Item Bank Fields For a Test
You can obtain a list of the information in any (or all) fields for the items in any test.
- Right-click on a test in the Test Assembler and select Export → Export Items.
- A dialog will open with check boxes for the user to indicate which fields to export, as seen in Figure 4.20.
- Optionally, you can remove all of the HTML formatting from the items.
Once the export is generated you will receive an email. The export will be available for download under the Reports Manager tab. If you are already logged in you made need to click the button on the right to refresh the list of generated reports.
Figure 4.21: Report Manager – Recent Exports